Sunday 21 November 2010

Rocky Road Muffins


Do you fancy a rocky road muffin?

Yesterday Scary and I were in a coffee shop and had a rocky road muffin; we weren't too greedy, we did share it!

Well, I must admit I missed the nuts in it.  To me, rocky road has to have some crunch.  They did have some little crunchy balls on top but it wasn't quite enough for me.

So I tried my own today. 

DRY INGREDIENTS:
7 oz plain flour (sorry I don't think in grammes!)
1 oz cocoa powder
3 oz castor sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 oz/100g/one packet of white chocolate chips
big handful brazil nuts, chopped
(I also put a few chopped cherries in, but Scary said they didn't 'go')

WET INGREDIENTS:
1 egg (decent sized one)
2 fl oz oil (I used sunflower)
8 fl oz milk

Prepare wet and dry ingredients separately and mix at the last minute very quickly.  Don't worry too much about getting it smooth, just make sure there are no major lumps of dry ingredients.  Don't overmix and get it into 12 muffin cases as quickly as possible.  Cook for 20 minutes at Gas 6.

I made a small amount of chocolate butter cream icing and dolloped it on top and then scattered with mini marshmallows and drizzled over some melted chocolate.

For the buttercream I used approximately 4 oz milk chocolate melted it in the microwave.  I cut up 1 oz butter into small cubes and mixed into the chocolate whilst still warm.  It didn't melt, just softened and I beat in sifted icing sugar with a wooden spoon until it was the right consistency.  Sometimes a little milk helps it come together.  Sorry I didn't measure any of these ingredients so this is just a guess!!!  (Like most of my cooking!)

Eat up quickly because they are made with oil so won't stay as fresh as cakes made with butter or marg.

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. It looks yummy, but I'd have to leave the nuts out - can't stand them euch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious - well done you! I like chopped walnuts in cakes, especially carrot cake......mmm... Like your colourful mug and plate!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. See you again soon I hope!